Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Pickwick Papers

IMG_1214

IMG_1255

IMG_1240

IMG_1254

IMG_1273

For my first Pickwick Ladies Book Club post, we read Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. I had grand plans to take photos at the Alcott property in Concord, Massachusetts, but it was closed the day I had planned the shoot. My next idea was to do a shoot ice skating on a pond as the March girls would do, but I have apparently misplaced my beloved ice skates. Last minute Jeramy mentioned Madame Sherri's Castle Ruins, which are in Chesterfield, NH on the border of Vermont. Its her old estate in the middle of the woods that burned down, leaving some amazing remains. I'd love to go into more detail about the location, but I really must get into the reading material at hand. If you have more interest on the subject, check out this link here.It really is quite fascinating.

The thing that resonated the most in Little Women was the relationship between the March Girls. I myself am one of four girls and can see a little bit of all of us in Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. I relate the most to Jo as she is whimsical and imaginative girl who loves to read and put on plays. As children, my sisters and I used to put on little plays for our family and I can remember being in charge like Jo would be. She is also a literary fiend, locking herself up in her room to read and write, which I do all the time. Little Women was a fun read, I read it a long time ago as a young girl and was happy that Mel of Idee Geniale chose it for the club, as it was something that I had been wanting to re-read for awhile. Next month, we'll be reading another of my favorites; Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. wow, what a gorgeous location! i might have to go down and check it out myself :) i definitely identify with jo as well--my brothers and i were always putting on plays, and (as the oldest) i was always in a directorial role. sometimes i wish i had sisters, but my girlfriends fill that role pretty well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty location! I think you look very "Jo" here. I love your skirt and just the photos in general. I think the 4th photo from the top is my favorite. (: Little Women is such a great book! I read it hundreds of times when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, loVE, LOVE this!
    I whole-heartedly believe that books are the loveliest accessory to any pretty dress :)
    xo.
    Jamie Bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a gorgeous location for pictures! I'm ashamed to admit that I never finished reading Little Women when I started it in middle school. I should really give it another try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful photos!! I can definitely see a bit of Jo in you ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This location is amazing!! And your outfit is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's been so long since i've read this book...i really should read it again. love the skirt, and the location is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice choices on the pictures. This would be a great setting to revisit in other seasons...I can already imagine the smell of spring there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little women is one of my favourite books, I love how you have channeled it here. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sad when beautiful places get abandoned and only pieces of them are left. beautiful otufit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place is beautiful! And I love this whole book club tied in with fashion idea. Those happen to be 2 of my favorite things! How does the club work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love Little Women! What a great outfit and location... very March family! :)

    ReplyDelete